This easy Vegan Carbonara is full on comforting and has the same old flavors. The simple creamy sauce coated well along the noodles and flavored with chewy, salted and smoky sun-dried tomato bites. This classic Italian recipe is heavenly and a perfect weeknight meal.
In a bowl combine sundried tomatoes and liquid smoke. Keep it aside.
Heat a nonstick pan and combine coconut milk and flaxmeal. Stir until well blended and there are no lumps ( about 2-3 minutes).
Just before it starts to bubble add nutritional yeast and stir nicely. Let it boil at medium flame uncovered. Stir at intervals to make sure it does not over flow and the milk does not curdle and does not stick at the bottom also. (about 5 minutes).
Now, add garlic, parsley, salt and black pepper. Stir and let it cook until it starts reducing. (about 3-4 minutes).
Now, toss in half cooked spaghetti in the sauce and let it cook at low-medium until spaghetti is fluffed and fully cooked (about 4-5 minutes).
Now, add soaked sundried tomatoes to it and mix again. Turn off the flame and let it rest covered for about 10-15 minutes. It will thicken and become creamy and the liquid will will be absorbed. However, the consistency would be saucy and not dry. Serve hot.
- To cook spaghetti – bring water to boil and add spaghetti to it. Then let it boil until it is half done. Do not let it cook completely. Drain it when half done. The spaghetti needs to be cooked in the sauce as mentioned above in the steps.
- Fresh garlic also works in this recipe just make sure it is well minced.
- Make sure to use coconut milk that comes in tetra pack just like any other milk.
- You may also use my tempeh bacon recipe instead of sundried tomato in this pasta.
- The corn topping is absolutely optional. But incase you like some crunchy bites then please get the one that is mentioned in the recipe above so as to achieve the exact original taste.
Calories: 447kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 69g | Sodium: 114mg | Potassium: 200mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 236IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 9mg