This oil free vegan Applesauce Bread is moist from inside and very easy to make. Its yeast free, made with whole wheat flour, naturally sweetened with dates, fluffed with chia seeds, flavored with warming spices and garnished with hempseeds. It’s a healthy recipe to enjoy for breakfast or snack.
- 2 whole red delicious apples (peeled and chopped)
- 1 pitted date
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 3/4 cup pitted dates (soaked in warm water and drained)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (soaked in warm water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a 9-inch loaf pan by greasing it and placing a parchment paper in it. Keep it aside. In a saucepan combine all the ingredients of applesauce and cook at high for 5 minutes or until the apples softens. Stir at intervals to make sure it does not stick at the bottom. Turn it off and let it cool. You may put it in the refrigerator for quick cooling as well.
Once cooled combine the cooked apples in a blender and blend it smooth. Spoon it out in a glass container and keep it aside.
In the same blender combine all the wet ingredients of the bread (milk, drained dates, soaked chia seeds, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar) and blend it smooth. Keep it aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients of the bread and mix well with a spoon.
Now, fold in wet ingredients and applesauce to the dry ingredients and mix well until a soft yet thick sticky batter is formed.
Spoon out the batter in the prepared loaf pan and spread it by tapping lightly. Garnish its top with hempseeds and place it in the middle rack of the preheated oven. Bake it for 45-50 minutes. Insert the tester at the middle of the bread, it should come out clean. Do not exceed baking time more than 60 minutes or it will taste burnt.
Turn it off and take the bread out of the oven. Let it cool for 10 minutes and gently take out with the parchment paper from the loaf pan and place it on a flat surface. Now let it cool completely for about 30 minutes before slicing.
- Soak dates only until they are soft enough to be blended nicely ( about 5 -7 minutes).
- Make sure to drain the date thoroughly. No extra liquid other than mentioned in the recipe should be included in this bread. Or else the bread will take time to cook and will become stickier.
- Soak chia seeds in warm water and keep stirring until they form jelly like consistency. (about 3-4 minutes).
- Since we have used dates in this recipe when slicing the bread, you will notice that its inside it slightly sticky. This is normal. As each slice cools down it becomes firm. It tastes delicious when warm or at room temperature.
- While slicing if you feel that the inside of the bread is still warm and its sticking to the knife, then slice bread at intervals letting it cool from inside. I like to cut one slice and then let it cool again for 2 minutes. Then, I cut another slice and let it cool again. I sometimes follow this step and it works great.
- Refrigerate the slices in an air tight container for about 1 week. Simply toast it in toaster oven and smear some vegan butter or maple syrup or both.
- This recipe will make 12 thick slices and the serving size in one slice per person.
- This recipe makes about 1 cup of applesauce.
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1mg