Christmas Fruit Cake
This oil free vegan Christmas Fruit Cake is soft, fluffy, chewy and absolutely flavor packed. Its perfectly moist and a well risen holiday treat made with dried fruits. Make it with rum or with orange juice so as to fit to the taste of all age groups.
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup oat milk
In a blender combine peeled oranges and blend it smooth. Strain it with the help of a strainer and discard the pulp. If you have a juicer, you may juice out the oranges as well. In a large mixing bowl combine prunes, dates, apricots, cranberries, raisins and orange peel and soak them in the orange juice for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and grease an 8-inch round cake pan. You may place a parchment paper after greasing the cake pan so its easy to take the cake out. In another mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
Now, add vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar to the soaked ingredients and mix it with a spoon. Fold in the soaked ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add oat milk and whip it up into a sticky thick batter.
Spoon out the batter in the prepared cake pan and bake it in the middle rack of the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
Once done, take it out and place it on a flat surface. Let it cool for 10 minutes. As soon as the cake starts to leave its side invert it on a flat surface or and let it cool down further on a rack. Enjoy it warm or at room temperature.
- For rum cake option: instead of oranges substitute 3/4 cup rum and ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice to soak the dry fruits. Soak it for at least 1 hour. Mix dry ingredients as in step 2. Then, add vanilla extract and vinegar to the soaked ingredients and quickly fold the soaked ingredients into the dry ingredients and add in 1/8 cup oat milk. Bake it as in step 4 and 5. Let it cool down completely.
- If making alcoholic version of this cake, make sure to cool it down completely before slicing, or else the rum flavor will be too strong.
- It can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about 2-3 weeks.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 163mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 274IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 1mg