Instant Pot Tom Yum Soup Recipe
This Instant Pot Tom Yum Soup Recipe is delectably spicy, tangy and salty. It is vegan, gluten free, oil free and made with simple ingredients. It’s a one pot, easy and warm bowl of deliciousness that can be enjoyed all year round. It has a nice authentic and comforting Thai flavor.
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 inch stalk or 1 tbsp sliced lemongrass
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushroom
- 3-4 whole red dry chilies (broken)
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chopped scallion/green onions
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice depending on taste
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp greens of green onions
- lime wedge
In the inner pot of instant pot combine all the ingredients for the soup (except coconut milk and lemon juice). Stir and plug in. Close the lid and seal the valve. Pressure cook manual at high for 10 minutes. Once done release the pressure and open the lid.
Stir it again, add coconut milk and lemon juice. Mix it well. (You may remove the sliced lemon grass before serving if desired). Let it settle for 2 minutes.
Ladle it in the serving bowls and garnish with cilantro and more green onions and a lime wedge. Enjoy it warm.
- I personally liked sliced lemon grass in the soup because it gave a lot flavor to it. You may however, remove it before serving so you do not bite on it.
- To get the restaurant style tangy taste add 4 tbsp. of lemon juice or depending on your palate add 3 tbsp. of lemon juice. But do not reduce the measurement further as it will not taste so authentic.
- If you like mushrooms then feel to add another ½ a cup of sliced mushrooms in the soup instead of 1 cup.
- For stove top option: As per step 1- combine all the soup ingredients (except coconut milk and lemon juice) in a stockpot/saucepan. Then, let it cook covered for 10-15 minutes or until it is well cooked and you get the aroma. Then, turn off the flame and add coconut milk and lemon juice. Garnish and serve.
- Variation: Heat 2 tbsp. coconut oil and sauté ginger, garlic, scallion and lemongrass in it. Add red curry Thai paste and mix. Sauté onions, tomatoes and mushrooms in it until nicely translucent. Add vegetable broth, water, salt. Let it cook covered for 5-10 minutes. Turn off the flame and stir in coconut milk and lemon juice. Ladle in serving bowl and garnish and serve immediately.
- This soup tastes best when served immediately. However, you may refrigerate in an air tight glass container for about 2 weeks.
Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 1190mg | Potassium: 219mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1807IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg