Nut Free Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Creamy, delicious and garlicky Nut Free Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are absolute delight and a family favorite! It serves well as dinner or as a side dish. It’s made with cauliflower cheese sauce and is oil free so its low in calories and yet comforting.
- 6 large gold potatoes (peeled and thin round sliced)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets (blanched/steamed/boiled and drained)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp chives/parsley (to garnish)
Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit. Combine sliced potatoes and vegetable broth in a Dutch oven. Place it on the stove to and turn on the flame at high-medium heat. Add 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper and gently mix with a flat spatula. Evenly spread the potatoes thought out the Dutch oven. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
In the meanwhile, in a blender, combine cauliflower florets, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, coconut milk, remaining salt as per taste and cornstarch and blend it smooth.
Now, pour the cauliflower cheese sauce over the cooked potatoes evenly.
Turn off the flame and place your Dutch oven in the middle rack of the oven without the lid. Bake it for 30 minutes and turn it off. Take it out and place it on a flat surface. Garnish and serve hot.
- If you do not have Dutch oven you can simply cook the potatoes in vegetable broth in a stock pot or a saute pan. Then, spoon it out in a greased baking dish evenly spreading the potatoes in the baking pan. Then pour the cauliflower cheese sauce over it and bake for 30 minutes. Turn it off and garnish and serve.
- Oat milk also works well in this recipe but do not use canned coconut milk or else the coconut flavor will overpower the dish.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Sodium: 1388mg | Potassium: 1566mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 4mg