Roasted Peaches, Puffed Quinoa and Papaya Cashew Cream
Roasted Peaches, Puffed Quinoa and Papaya Cashew Cream Parfait says it all! Whether you enjoy it as a summer dessert or a healthy breakfast it will always satisfy your sweet tooth absolutely guilt free.
- 1 cup chopped peaches
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cream
- 1 cup chopped ripe papaya
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp flax oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk
- Small pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed and dried)
- 1 cup chopped ripe papaya (for layering)
- 1 tsp goji berries (for topping)
Heat a nonstick pan and add all the ingredients for roasting. Mix gently, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the flame once you start getting the aroma. (Peaches should not be mashed, the firm pieces should be maintained but at the same time should be soft enough). Take the roasted peaches out in a bowl and refrigerator to cool off.
In the meantime combine all the papaya cashew cream ingredients in a food process and puree smooth. (No lumps should be present in the cream).Put the papaya cashew cream in the refrigerator to cool.
In the mean time when quinoa is completely dried heat a small dry nonstick pan. Check its right temperature by testing with few quinoa grains. If they start to pop that means the pan is ready.Now add 1-2 tbsp. of quinoa at a time. Cover and let it pop, keep stirring in between to avoid over cooking. Puffed quinoa should be light brown in color as show above in the picture. Repeat the same process for the rest of the quinoa.Let the quinoa be at room temperature to maintain its crunchy texture.
Divide all the ingredients into 4 equal parts (except roasted peaches). Roasted peaches would be divided into 8 equal parts.
Just before serving start layering in a dessert glass. Put the first layer of roasted peaches, then chopped papaya pieces, puffed quinoa, roasted peaches again now cover the glass with papaya cashew cream completely and lastly garnish this parfait with few goji berries. Serve chilled.
- For drying the rinsed and drained quinoa, spread it on a kitchen tissue cloth and dap it with another tissue cloth as much as possible. You will notice that both the tissues are completely wet. Change both the tissues at this point and repeat the process.
- If you have time leave the quinoa spread on the tissue in the room temperature it will dry on its own and quinoa will leave the tissue easily or else you can dry in the oven at 500 degree Fahrenheit by stirring at equal intervals for few minutes. (Make sure it’s not cooked just dry the quinoa and then start the popping process as mentioned in the instructions).
- To serve this dessert you can make everything ahead of time and store them separately in the refrigerator except puffed quinoa. Just before serving assemble the parfait to ensure the crunchy taste of the parfait or else quinoa will become soggy.
- 4 different dessert glasses can be used or 2 large glasses (like I did) or one big bowl to serve this parfait.
- If after chilling papaya cashew cream thickens a bit add little cold milk to it depending on your desired consistency and whip till it is light and fluffy again.
- Any milk of your choice can be used (dairy or nondairy).
- Extra virgin olive oil can also be used instead of flax oil.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 131mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg