Yellow Curry Veggie Quinoa with Tofu
This flavorful Yellow Curry Veggie Quinoa with Tofu is a comfort recipe and yet nutritious. Its loaded with fiber and protein and tossed in delicious homemade Thai spices.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa (rinsed)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack/carton)
For curry powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp kasoori methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 Thai basil leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh lemongrass
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/8 cup scallions
- 1/4 cup julienned carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped baby corns
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 15 oz extra firm pack of tofu (drained,pressed,chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice or as per taste
In a saucepan bring water to a boil and then add quinoa. After few minutes when the water starts to dry add coconut milk. Keep stirring at intervals for quinoa to stay fluffy. When the liquid starts to dry simmer the flame and cook covered until quinoa absorbs all the liquid. Turn off the flame for quinoa once cooked and set it aside and fluff with a fork.
While the quinoa is being cooked combine all the ingredients for curry powder in a glass bowl and mix thoroughly with a spoon and set it aside.
In a nonstick pan/ wok heat oil and add basil leaves, lemongrass, garlic, sesame seeds and cinnamon stick. Immediately add the scallions and stir.
Add carrots, baby corn and celery and mix very well.
Now add tofu and curry powder to the pan and mix gently so that tofu does not break but at the same time all the tofu pieces are well coated with the curry powder. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. (Avoid browning of tofu).
Now add quinoa, salt, sugar, lemon juice of the ingredients and mix very gently to maintain the tofu pieces.
Take it out in a serving bowl and serve warm.
- The above recipe of curry powder yields little less than ¼ cup.
- You can make more quantity of curry powder and store in a glass container in your spice rack for 3-4 weeks.
- This recipe is slightly spicy. Feel free to adjust the spice level according to your preference. If you reduce the cayenne pepper the color of the yellow curry may become bright yellow which is perfectly fine.
- If you adjust the spice level you may want to adjust the measurement of the salt, sugar and lemon juice according to taste in this recipe.
- When you are making this recipe and plan to make the recipe for fewer people make sure to adjust the curry powder measurement according to your other measurements.
Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 571mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 5mg