Brown Rice Papaya Salad
This satisfying Brown Rice Papaya Salad is simply outstanding and unique. Its simple, easy and has the right combination of fiber, carbohydrate and vitamins.
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped ripe papaya
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp kala namak (Indian black salt)
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp hopped fresh oregano
- Pinch of dried oregano
In a salad bowl combine red onion, bell peppers, papaya, brown rice and mix gently.
Now toss in the rest of the ingredients and serve immediately.
- If not serving immediately don’t mix in the seasoning. Refrigerate the dry salad ingredients. Toss in the seasonings when ready to serve.
- Black salt (kala namak) is easily available in Indian store. If desired Himalayan pink salt can also be substituted.
- Squeeze fresh lemon if possible as this will enhance the fresh taste of the salad.
- Make sure the papaya is ripe and sweet.
- This recipe can be made with left over brown rice or make fresh brown rice but do not add salt while boiling brown rice. If the leftover brown rice has salt in it already then please adjust the salt as per your taste.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 583mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg