Sweet and Sour Sauce
This homemade sweet and sour sauce is better than a takeout. It’s a one pot recipe made with minimum ingredients. It has the perfect sweet and tangy flavor to it.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground dry ginger or ginger powder
In a saucepan or a stock pot combine water and cornstarch. Whisk it until its smooth and there are no lumps.
Then, add rest of the ingredients in the cornstarch mixture. Whisk it again very well until all the ingredients are well combined.
Turn on the flame at medium – high heat and let it cook while stirring continuously. As soon as it starts to boil lower the flame and cook for another 2 minutes or until the color becomes a bit darker. (Make sure to continuously stir it to avoid any lumps and burning).
Turn it off and remove the pan from the heat. Let it cool and use it as per your choice.
- This sauce can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a month.
- If it becomes too thick while resting in the refrigerator then simply warm it up and add little water as per your desired consistency. ( Do not over cook at this point, just warming up would be enough).
- Use this sauce as a dipping sauce or as a gravy base for your vegan protein.
- This sauce is not overly sweetened like the store bought ones.
Calories: 64kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 707mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 31IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg