Brown Rice Tofu Scramble
This Brown Rice Tofu Scramble is a comforting yet protein packed nutritious meal. Its loaded with health and taste in the same plate. Its an easy, satisfying and delicious lunch.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 8 fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 14 oz pack of extra firm tofu (drained, pressed and crumbled)
- 1 1/2 cup colored bell peppers
- 1 tbsp sliced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add garlic and oregano leaves.
Once garlic starts to brown add onions and saute until light golden brown.
Add crumbled tofu and cook open until golden brown in color and tofu dries up further. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid any sticking or over cooking.
Add bell peppers and jalapeno pepper, mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bell peppers soften but retains its crunchy texture. (Avoid over cooking).
Add salt, black pepper and lemon juice and mix well.
Lastly, add brown rice and saute well. Cook opened for 1-2 minutes and turn off the fame.
Garnish with more oregano leaves and serve hot.
- Dried oregano can also be used instead of fresh oregano leaves.
- Make sure to press tofu very well and try to dry it up as much as possible. Cook tofu very well until golden in color to get the chewy texture and avoid any raw taste.
- For a nice soft and chewy texture of brown rice the ratio of rice and water should be 1:3 and cook in medium flame till the water is almost absorbed stirring at interval to avoid sticking in the pan. Then simmer the flame and cover and cook until water is fully absorbed.
- I have provided step wise images in the post above for your reference.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 777mg | Potassium: 136mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 45IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg