Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry
This Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry is made with a medley of spices and herbs. It has a nice Indian flavor some fusion herbs as well. Its a protein packed easy family meal.
- 1 cup dry green lentils (rinsed)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole dry red chilies (broken)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets (cut into bites size)
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
Combine lentil and 2 ½ cups water in a pressure cooker and boil until 2-3 whistles (do not overcook to avoid it being mushy).
Heat oil in a sauce pan and add garlic, cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chilies, basil and cilantro. Mix them properly.
Add onions and saute until aromatic.
Add tomatoes and cook covered for couple of minutes.
Add rest of the vegetables and cook until soft but not mushy.
Add boiled lentils along with its water and mix very well.
Add salt, chili powder and the rest 1 cup of water.
Cook covered for 5 minutes or until aromatic and well cooked.
Serve over steamed rice and enjoy.
- If you do not have pressure cooker you may combine lentil and 2 ½ cups water in a sauce pan and boil covered until lentils are soft enough to be broken with fingers.
- I slightly mashed zucchini and broccoli while cooking with a food masher for my little one so she can’t find what she ate. You can do the same if desired.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 64mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 206IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg