Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Cilantro Pilaf
This aromatic Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Cilantro Pilaf is a deliciously satisfying lunch. It works great for lunch boxes and as weeknight dinner as well. Its made with nutritious ingredients and simple spices.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp cajun spice seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Heat oil in a nonstick pan/skillet and add sweet potatoes.
Toss well so that each potato piece is coated with oil and now add Cajun spice, salt and cayenne pepper.
Mix very well and let it cook covered for 5-10 minutes or until soft and brown yet crispy from outside.
Remove the lid and add cilantro and saute well.
Just when the cilantro starts to shrink add brown rice and toss very well.
Let it cook uncovered for 2 minutes.
Turn off the flame, adjust salt and serve immediately.
- In this recipe I used oriental sweet potatoes/yams which cooked faster and was easier to chop. It’s lighter in color as well. Feel free to use regular sweet potatoes that are available in your nearby store for this recipe. The taste would be the same only a slight color difference would be visible.
- 1 large sweet potatoes chopped into ½” thick squares yields about 2 cups.
- Brown rice can be cooked earlier and refrigerated and this recipe can be made with left over rice as well.
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1165mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 4g | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg