Caramelized Strawberry Sauce Pancakes
Caramelized Strawberry Sauce Pancakes are made with a combination of fresh fruits and healthy whole grains. Its a family favorite and perfect for all year round.
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp whole ground flax meal (soaked in 3/4 cup water)
- 2 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
for the toppings
- Maple syrup
- Chopped strawberries
In a hot nonstick pan combine strawberries, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Cook for 2 minutes until strawberries are soft.
Once the strawberries are cooled grind them smooth for a minute in a food processor.
In a mixing bowl combine spelt flour, baking powder and salt and mix with a spoon.
Now add all the ingredients into the flour bowl (ground strawberries, soaked flaxseed meal and milk) and mix well with a spoon. After mixing the batter will turn light pink in color.
On a greased warm nonstick pan/griddle pour ¼ cup of the batter and spread it into a round shape. Cook for 2 minutes or until brown and flip to the other side to cook until brown.
Repeat the process for the rest of the batter.
Serve hot with your choice of sweetener and some more fresh strawberries or any fruit of your choice on the side.
- I used golden flaxseed meal to substitute eggs. If you have flaxseeds then you can grind it and soak in water.
- Ground Chia seeds can also be used in place of flaxseed meal but the color of the pancake may change a little.
- If using eggs then use 4 eggs. For healthier version you may use 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites.
- Whole wheat flour may also be used in place of spelt flour. In that case the pancake might come out a little extra soft.
- Any milk of your choice can be used (dairy or non-dairy).
- When caramelizing strawberries you may use white/brown sugar but avoid honey as it may make the pancakes taste slightly bitter.
- This recipe makes 10 pancakes.
Calories: 159kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 85mg | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg