Vegan Lentil Cheese Soup
This creamy and thick vegan Lentil Cheese Soup is flavored brilliantly with vegan Parmesan cheese and is a perfect on the go meal on busy days. It can be made ahead of time in a big batch for later use.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of dried garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup green lentils (rinsed)
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese (powdered form)
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
Heat olive oil in sauce pan and add garlic.
As soon as garlic starts browning, add chopped onions and saute until golden in color.
Add chopped carrots and saute for 30 seconds.
Fold in lentil and thyme sprigs. Saute for 30 seconds.
Add vegetable broth. Cover and cook on a medium – high flame until lentils are soft. (Takes about 30 minutes).
When lentils are soft reduce the flame to low and add nutritional yeast. Stir well.
Add coconut milk and stir again. Turn off the flame and stir in salt, cheese and crushed chili flakes. Let it settle for a minute and serve warm.
- Fresh minced/chopped garlic can also be used.
- I tried this soup with cashew milk as well. Tasted good but on a sweeter side. So if you like your lentil soup to be a slight sweet you may use cashew milk instead of coconut milk and let it settle for a minute before consuming. Cashew milk when mixed immediately in the soup taste sour but comes back to its original flavor in couple of minutes.
- I prefer this soup with unsweetened coconut milk.
- I used powdered style vegan Parmesan cheese from go veggie.
- For Instant Pot - Turn it on at saute mode and follow until step 5. Then, close the lid and seal the valve. Pressure cook at high for 10 minutes or at chili/beans mode (default setting). Once done, release the pressure and open the lid. Stir in coconut milk. Season it with, vegan Parmesan cheese and crushed chili flakes.
- For oil free option - skip the oil and combine all the ingredients (except cheese) in the saucepan or instant pot. Cook until lentils are soft or if using instant pot pressure cook as mentioned above. Once done, adjust the seasoning as per taste and garnish with vegan Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 1182mg | Potassium: 476mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 686IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 3mg