Air Fryer Tempeh Bacon has a smoky flavor along with being crispy. They are versatile and protein packed as well as perfect breakfast option.
I like the fact that these can be stuffed in a sandwich. These tempeh bacon bits can be used a salad topping. The best is that they serve pretty well as a side to tofu scramble and toast.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Tempeh Bacon
Low sodium soy sauce
Apple cider vinegar
Crushed black pepper
How to make Air Fryer Tempeh Bacon
Firstly, I sliced tempeh as thin as possible and then I boiled them. Subsequently, I drained them and kept aside.
Secondly, I whipped up the marinade in a mixing bowl.
Next, I marinated tempeh slices in the whipped marinade.
Then, I placed the tempeh slices in the air fryer basket in one layer. Next, I poured the leftover marinade with a spoon on each tempeh slice. Subsequently, I air fried them at 350 degree for about 12-15 minutes.
Lastly, when done, I turned it off and took out the basket.
We thoroughly enjoyed this smoky vegan bacon with our vegan scramble and toast.
Sometimes, I personally stuff this vegan bacon in my sandwich and enjoy them for lunch.
In fact, I love my recent discovery of this vegan version of regular bacon. Now that I make this very frequently, we do not miss our favorite comfort food for breakfast.
- It is important to put the leftover marinade on tempeh slices to enhance its flavor since we are not marinating for longer time period.
- Most importantly, Tempeh has to be sliced as thin as possible.
- Moreover, I prefer boiling it before marinating to smoothen its flavor since tempeh has a strong fermented taste of its own.
Frequently asked questions:
How long do they last?
This recipe tastes best when served immediately. However, They can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a week.
Can I pan fry or oven bake them?
Yes, absolutely. I have mentioned the details in the notes below in the recipe card.
Does this taste like real bacon?
Tempeh is a fermented soybean loaded with probiotics. Hence, Its good in absorbing the marinades and flavors from it. So, therefore, it will taste very similar to bacon. However, this recipe is a good substitute to the regular bacon.
How does this taste?
It should have a combination of flavors from the marinade. As the ultimate result it should be sweet, salt and smoky in the same bite.
You may also like:
Moroccan Tempeh Mac n Cheese
Moroccan Spiced Tempeh Wraps
Black Rice Sriracha Tempeh Bowl
One Pot Peanut Butter Tempeh Curry
Herbed Cashew Cream Tempeh Crostini
Tempeh Parmesan Burger with Habanero Dip
Pan Seared Tempeh Soup
Vegan Cheese and Tempeh Stuffed Mushrooms
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would like to see what you cooked.
Air Fryer Tempeh Bacon
- 1 8 oz original Tempeh (Thinly sliced)
For the marinade
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt as per taste (optional)
- Slice tempeh as thin as possible without breaking. Then, place them in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes and drain. Keep them aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the marinade ingredients (except salt). Do a taste testing at this stage and then decide whether you want it salty or just as is. Depending on your taste add salt and whip it up.
- Then add tempeh slices to the marinade making sure that each slice is well soaked.
- Place the tempeh slices in the Air Fryer basket. With a spoon pour the leftover marinade on the tempeh slices.
- Place the basket inside the air fryer and turn it on. Air fry it at 350 degree for 12 minutes. Pause it and take the basket out. Check it whether it is desired crispy. If you want it crispier then place the basket again in the air fryer again and turn it on for another 3 minutes. ( Do not exceed 15 minutes as it will have a burnt taste)
- Once done, turn it off and take out the basket. Enjoy it immediately in a sandwich, salad or as a side with scramble.
- For oven baked option: Follow until step 3. Then place the tempeh slices on the greased baking sheet. With a spoon pour the marinade on each tempeh slices. Place the baking sheet in a preheated oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- For pan fry option: Follow until step 3. Then, Heat the 1-2 tbsp olive oil in a nonstick pan on a medium-high flame. Then, place tempeh slices on the pan. Pour the leftover marinade on tempeh slices with a spoon and cook for about 5 minutes. With the help of a flat spatula or tongs flip the tempeh slices to the other side and cook again for 5 minutes or until nicely browned and crispy.
- Salt is absolutely optional in this recipe. We, prefer these without salt since the marinade is quite salty. So, use salt sparingly or not at all depending on your taste.
- I personally air fry my tempeh bacon for 15 minutes because I like it crispier. Make sure to check after 12 minutes of air frying to make sure its not burnt.
- I have provided step wise images in the post above for your reference.
I’m always looking for new air fryer recipes, so I was super excited to come across this tempeh bacon. The marinade is delicious, and it was so easy to put together.
Analida Braeger says
My daughter became a lover of tempeh while living in Asia and has introduced it to our household. I can’t wait to try this!
Kelly Anthony says
I’ve never cooked tempeh before but I’m excited that my first time will be bacon.
It’s been a while since I made bacon. I am not completely sure why… But hey, your post reminded me that I NEED to make some bacon over the weekend, and there is no other way about it. Can’t wait to try your recipe! 🙂
YUM! I love tempeh bacon but I’ve never made it in the air fryer. I cannot wait to try this recipe!
Andrea Howe says
I’ve never tried making vegan bacon before, but this looks so easy! And love that I can make this in my air fryer as well.
Thank you Andrea!
Chef Dennis says
I am going to have this Air Fryer Tempeh Bacon for breakfast one of these days! It looks really yummy and crispy. That smoky flavor is perfect!
Hope you get a chance to try this recipe. Its really good.
This looks wonderful. I have been looking for ways to put my air fryer to work and this is definitely going on my meal plan! I love the flavors of tempeh.
hahahha 🙂 Thank you
HEATHER PERINE says
Thank you for including alternate cooking instructions – I don’t own an air fryer (yet!) so I’m glad I can still make this!
After spending a few weeks in Indonesia several years ago, I fell in love with Tempeh! I know many people are hesitant due to its slightly fermented flavor, but I think the combination of flavors in this marinade would convert anyone!
Thank you Caitlin. I totally agree with you.