My husband is so fond of paneer/cottage cheese that he demands it every day. Since I mostly cook low calorie meals with lots of nutrition, good carbs and healthy grains, I wanted to make a paneer dish that is absolutely healthy. Hence, I created this ‘Paneer and Farro Casserole’ dish which is easy to cook. It’s a one pot dish, requires no baby-sitting and the best part is that it is oil free.
This aromatic ‘Paneer and Farro Casserole’ is a delicious meal with all the Indian spices that give it an Indian flavor. Mixed in a creamy cashew gravy and yet cream-free, this recipe with the addition of traditional Mediterranean grain Farro is a complete and wholesome meal.
Whether it’s a working day, or a weekend, whether I am cooking for my family or for gusts, whenever I cook this ‘Paneer and Farro Casserole’ and I get extra hugs, extra love and extra praise from my family; and I have become so addicted to these emotional rewards 🙂 .
- Preheat the oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- Combine cashew nuts, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds, garam masala, chilli powder in a food processor and grind as fine as possible. Then add milk and water and process again into a smooth paste. Take this paste out in a bowl and then mix in the salt properly.
- In a baking dish layer it with ¼ cup of the ground paste. Put a cinnamon stick in the middle of the baking dish. Add another layer of onions and then tomatoes.
- Add another layer of paneer and then again spread another layer of farro.
- Lastly, layer it with the remaining cashew nut paste. Top it with carrots.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil properly and put it in the below most rack in the oven. Bake it for 35 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Note: Combine dry farro and water and cook until farro is soft. No oil or salt required while cooking farro.
I used raw unsalted cashew nuts to mainatin the calorie of this dish and yet add nutrition to it.
Add water and milk after grinding the cashews and the spices together to get the thick paste like consistency.