As an outdoor activity hiking promotes fitness in a fun way where you can explore your surroundings, be with nature, improve your physical and mental health, inhale fresh air and sometimes enjoy some photography.
Depending on the trail you hike it is an easy exercise and adjustable to one’s fitness and requirements. It is one activity that can be made as social as possible and in fact it is much more fun when in a group.
In summer especially, I prefer hiking on weekends with my family and some friends where I can get some change in my work out routine, I can stay outdoors and socialize at the same time, it helps me to keep a check on my stamina and I get plenty of family time as well and most importantly it’s inexpensive.
How hiking is Beneficial:
1. Hiking helps in physical fitness by exercising every part of the body like legs, knees, ankles, abdomen, neck, hips and is a great cardio workout.
2. It improves heart and lung fitness and is great for lowering the blood pressure and cholesterol.
3. It promotes good bone health by exposing you to sun and tones up the muscles.
4. Improves sleep quality thereby reducing insomnia and depression.
5. Helps in maintaining normal weight and lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes.
If you plan to hike long distances then you should prepare your body by exercising regularly like aerobics, jogging, running, yoga, strength training, and weight lifting.
At the end of the day you might feel tired and your whole body may be exhausted and since tired muscles are prone to injury so make sure to do some strengthening exercises to prepare your body and avoid injuries. Many exercises like wall sit, crunches, squats, leg raises and so on can be done.
For flexibility try to do some stretching by taking breaks during hiking and especially after the hike before you call the day off. Gentle loosening stretching exercises are required and don’t indulge in any vigorous stretching because your muscles would be tired after the hike.
So make the most of the good summer weather outside to stay fit healthy and happy!
Health tip of the week
“This summer indulge in outdoor activities to stay fit”