The biggest hindrance to enjoying the parties is to manage right eating and making right choices. It is extremely easy to get carried away and load yourself with unwanted calories and consequently regret for the rest of the week. Many of us try to burn and work harder at the gym to compensate but the guilt does not go away in any way. Especially, with the New Year knocking at the door and almost all of us having planned parties, clubbing and fun activities to welcome 2017, and the initial thought that comes to the mind is to continue with healthy eating while enjoying the parties.
I am also in the same boat and it becomes very difficult to mindfully eat or drink when you have an array of food on the table and drinks flowing and you see everybody enjoying. So what keeps me motivated in this situation to continue making right choices? For me personally, I dress up in such a manner that I don’t want to feel bloated or I continuously look at myself in the mirror and of course I want to look good till the end of the party.
However, if that doesn’t work for you below are some of the healthy eating tips at parties:
1. Never enter a party on an empty stomach. Before leaving for the party always snack on some fiber and protein combination. My favorite is carrot and hummus, light and yet gives you a feeling of satisfaction. This will keep you away from directly jumping on the food table.
2. Always focus first on the event. This is a big distraction from food. When you see many people dressed up and enjoying you will be motivated to participate in the event whole heartedly which will distract you from thinking about food.
3. Indulge in alcohol drinks diligently and avoid soda so that you don’t fill yourself with empty calories. Keep drinking water throughout the party so that you are well hydrated and you don’t over stuff with calorie loaded food/drinks.
4. When it’s time to eat, first scan the whole table with your eyes and devour the presentation. Then carefully pick your items and make sure you pick at least two raw veggie items. Try to grab a small plate instead of a big plate. It has a psychological effect. If your eyes see a full plate your brains will send a message to your stomach to stop eating when the plate is empty and opting for a smaller plate will help you focus on eating only the required amount of food rather than over stuffing your tummy.
5. When its dessert time try to avoid the sugar loaded fried desserts. If possible try to opt for fruit based dessert or if you have a strong will power avoid dessert altogether and instead drink a glass of water.
6. Make sure you eat enough and that you don’t feel hungry when you get back home. In all respect you should never opt for two dinners when attending any parties.
Overall, enjoy your New Year Eve parties and celebrate merrily and stay healthy. Also, even if you have a hangover the next day that is the 1st day of 2017 🙂 don’t forget to exercise. However tough it may feel, push yourself and motivate. Get started with your workout routine to stay fit and healthy all year round.
Health tip of the week
“Enjoy parties because they are fun, but eat/drink mindfully”